Upon the establishment of the college of medicine, there was only one teaching faculty with an Indian nationality who taught Gynecology as well as some lecturers who were not college faculties (physicians from the Directorate of Health in Erbil). For that reason, it was part of the Department of Surgery until 2000 in which the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology was established.
Currently, there are 19 teaching faculty who work in this department. Among which 11 have PhD degree and 8 with MSc degree.
The mission of department to introduce knowledge through teaching & training program to provide best health care for pregnant & non pregnant women
1. Train the students to deal and communicate with patients in an acceptable way so that they are able to reach a diagnosis and plan for treatment.
2. Train them to perform simple interventions.
3. They should posses enough knowledge about all Obstetric and Gynecological emergencies .
4. Enough knowledge about the common pathologies and problem in the local society.
5. They should be able to cooperate with colleagues and do team work in harmony.
6. They should be taught in medical ethics, good communication with the patients and colleagues and have to respect patient’s privacy and confidentiality.
7. To be well informed about the medico-legal aspects in Obstetrics and gynecology and how to improve these according to the needs of the society.
8. They have to see the most common operations and instruments used.
Obstetric & Gynecology
Dr .Shahla Karem Mahmud
Dr. Serwa Rassool Abdulla
Dr. Ishraq Mahmud Shakir
Dr. Zainab Muhsin Zween
Dr. Kamilia Buia Shabo
Dr. Ghada Sadalla ALsaqal
D . Sazgar Abdulla Rasheed
Dr. Trifa Yousif Mutalib
Dr. Sheelan Umar jafar
Dr. Chiman Khider Mawlud
Dr. Parez Ridha Mohammed Rasul
Dr. Rozhan Khaliss jawad
Dr. Avin Sadiq jamel
Dr. Safia Abdulkarim Ahmed
Dr. Samera Abdulrahmen Mustafha
Dr. Nazanin Faeq Faraj
Dr. Nagham younus Toma Al-hur
Dr. Awat ibrahim Hamed Amen
Dr.Khanda Yasin Ahmed
Dr. Razhan Nazhad
Suham Abdul Karim