The Department of Community Medicine, located within the College of Medicine at the Hawler Medical University, serves the College of Medicine as the academic home of the public health sciences. In addition to its responsibilities within the College of Medicine, the Department supports a Master and PhD degree of Community Medicine and High Diploma in Family Medicine. Established in 1983, administratively was belonged to Internal Medicine, the department consists of 17 faculty, 1 professor, 3 assistant professor, 6 lecturers, 6 assistant lecturers and 1 administrative support staff members.
The mission of the Department is to provide knowledge through epidemiological, biostatistical, clinical, ethical, developing and evaluating innovative health care services and prevention programs, and assisting health care and public health professionals improve their effectiveness through consultation and continuing educational programs.
At the end of community medicine courses, students are expected to:
1. List epidemiological methods & describe their applications to communicable & non-communicable diseases in the community or hospital situation.
2. Apply bio-statistical methods & techniques as well as collect, analyze, interpret & present simple community & hospital based data
3. Describe the principles & components of primary health care & the national health policies to achieve the goal of ‘Health administration, Health education in relation to community’
4. Understand and plan Health Education Program activities & able to evaluate a program.
5. Diagnose & manage common nutritional problems at the individual & community level.
6. Identify concepts of communications skills with special emphasis on doctor-patient relationships in medical practice.
7. Recognize use of ethics in medical practice and research conduction.
Tariq Salman Abdul-Rahim
Namir Ghanim Al-Tawil
Haitham Issa Bahoo
Khalis Bilal Mohammed Ali
Jwan Muhammad Zangana
Sherzad Ali Ismael
Awring Maroof Raof
Kameran Hassan Ismail
Noori Abdulla Khider
Baran Kamal Ahmed
Lazha Ahmed Talaat Sharif
Abubakir Majeed Saleh
Health Care Management
Sherzad Abdulahad Shabu
Yassin Ahmed Asaad